Thursday, July 15, 2010

Making an Investment

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary,
but what is unseen is eternal.”
(2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV)


What do you invest your time in? Does it provide temporary rewards? Or eternal rewards?

We’re pulled in so many different directions, and we make countless decisions every day in how and where we invest our time and energy.

I watch very little reality TV, and rarely have spent even a few minutes engaged in The Bachelor. But, I did happen to view the episode when Jake proposed to Vienna. Since then, the demise of their relationship has become a public disaster. Followers of the show had invested so much personal time, energy, and emotion into wanting Jake and Vienna’s romance to be real, that when it failed, it was almost expected that a public explanation be given. What resulted, in my opinion, was hurt and humiliation for both people.

I’ve gotten wrapped up in a few TV shows this past year that have suddenly ended with no resolve. Apparently the ratings weren’t what the producers hoped for. It’s been a bit frustrating that after getting hooked into stories they created, I ended up feeling cheated in the end. But that’s my fault. I chose to invest my time in something that was temporary. I knew that before I began.

There’s nothing wrong with watching television or taking time out to do to other “fun” things we enjoy. But I’ve become more conscious of how I spend time that I’ll never get back.

I think it’s good to invest in our relationships. Our spouse, children, relatives, and friends need and deserve our attention. Sharing our gifts and talents in our church, or with organizations that do good things is a great way to spend our time. All of these things have the potential to have lasting – and maybe even eternal value.

When you write the stories that God lays on your heart, you are investing in the spiritual lives of the people who read them. A book can be kept for many years and passed on to friends and family members. Books may live on library shelves indefinitely. When you write words of encouragement or hope on your blogs, those words are available for millions of readers to find them. And they can remain out there in cyberspace for years to come.

Whatever you write to honor God is a good investment toward increasing the flock. You do your part, and God will do the rest. He’ll bring your words to the right people. The people who need to read them.

So today, as you sit at the computer, or with paper and pen, remember that you’re not just writing a story. You may be making an investment in someone’s spiritual journey and life. An investment that could pay off for eternity.

Dawn