Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Fragrance of Your Work

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal
procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the
fragrance of the knowledge of him." (2 Corinthians 2:14 NIV)


What are your favorite fragrances?

The scent of blooming lilacs would be included in my top ten. In the summer I enjoy lighter fragrances like citrus fruits and pear. In the fall and winter, I gravitate towards coffee, burning wood, popcorn, and warm, spicy aromas. We’re treated to so many delightful scents, that if we were ever going to be limited to a few, it would be extremely difficult to choose.

We associate smell with experience. Certain aromas can make us feel loved, protected, and at home. While others can make us want to retch.

So what about the fragrance of your writing? Did you know that it has one? I’m not referring to the “sense of smell” you include in your story to help put the reader into the setting. I’m talking about the overall fragrance of what you bring forth in your work.

Like many of you, I’ve enjoyed reading books since I could figure out what Tom, Dick, and Jane were doing with Spot. I still, on occasion, will read a secular novel and get caught up in the tale. But, I prefer to read Christian fiction. Why? It’s not because I’m uncomfortable reading what secular books sometimes include – as long as they’re not over-the-top violent or sexually explicit.

There's something different about novels that include faith-based themes, whether they contain overt messages or not. And I can’t help but believe, that authors who are spiritually in tune to what God is directing them to write, create a wonderful, enticing fragrance in their work.

A fragrance that soothes the soul, challenges the mind, and comforts the heart.

A fragrance that when the last page is read and the book is closed, the reader sighs, “ahhhhhh.”

A fragrance that helps draw the reader closer to God.

The fragrance of Jesus – and the knowledge of Him.


Dawn