Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Turning the Pages Series: New Lessons


How New Lessons Affect our Writing
Turning the Pages Series
Net's Notations Tuesdays

I couldn’t write a whole lot about being a mom until I became one. Now I can describe the sweetness, the all-encompassing love, the occasional heartaches. New lessons help me write at a deeper level about this relatable aspect of women’s lives.

I couldn’t write about marriage without first experiencing it. Well, I could, but can you agree there wouldn’t be much depth? Wisdom would be keenly absent from the pages.

Whenever we experience a new season in our lives, we’re presented with new opportunities to grow and change and learn. Then, because we’re authors and nothing’s ever wasted on us (*grin*), we can include our newly-gained wisdom in our writing.

New lessons can also affect the themes we include in our writing. There are times when God brings certain aspects to the forefront, have you noticed? So, maybe a year ago, I’d have written about one theme, but right now, another is burning inside me, waiting for expression.

The great thing is, God is leading us through our seasons and lessons. Then, we can use those nuggets we dig up, incorporating them into richer works of literary art. Well, that’s the hope anyway.

Take a moment to consider some lessons God’s recently taught you and how you could include them in your writing.

Ready? Set … Write!