Friday, November 4, 2011

Looking for that Blaze on the Path to Writing by Lauralee Bliss


God uses various ways to direct us on our writing journey. Doors may close to opportunities we were counting on—and then swing wide open when we least expect them to. Sometimes, God surprises us—like he did author Lauralee Bliss. She shares that experience with us today. Enjoy! ~ Dawn


Looking for that Blaze on the Path to Writing
by Lauralee Bliss

Have you ever reached an important junction in your writing career and wondered which direction to take? I have been at that very point, both spiritually and, yes, physically. 

I had received the sad news that my manuscript, which had been to a prestigious publishing committee not once but three times, was met with rejection. Disheartened by it, I took off for a four-month hike on the Appalachian Trail (since then I have completed the trail both north and south!). I did it as a way to seek God and decide for myself if writing is really to be my ministry anymore. 

On a hiking trail, one often looks for blazes painted on trees to let you know you're on the right path. You might say I was looking for my blaze on my path of writing. And then you find some kind of sign that may help. So it happened on my hike, when I received a call from my agent that an editor I had worked with on past projects was asking me to write a novella for a Quaker Christmas collection. Here I am, out in the middle of nowhere, hiking, and a call comes in to write a novella! Talk about a blaze on the path, bright and clear! 

But God had other surprises. I had to come up with an idea quick for the editor to consider. And it just so happened that at that same time, a wonderful couple had taken me into their home for a few days where I could enjoy nice meals and a real bed instead of a tent on the trail. From their kindness and the lending of a computer, I was able to formulate the idea of an inn taking in weary travelers. 

I then took a week off from my hike to finalize the proposal for “A Crossroad to Love” and received the contract. The editor then gave the a-okay for me to hike another month before I return to write the novella. So look for those blazes before you as you tread the path of writing. They may come when you least expect it! 

I hope you will pick up A Quaker Christmas and allow its message and wholesome stories to bring light and love to your holiday. It is available at Amazon.com, Christianbook.com, and wherever fine Christian books are sold. 



 
Lauralee Bliss has always liked to dream big dreams. Part of that dream was writing, and after several years of hard work, the dream of publishing was realized in 1997 with the publication of her first romance novel, Mountaintop, through Barbour Publishing. Since then, she's had over twenty books published in both historical and contemporary. Lauralee is also an avid hiker, completing the entire length of the Appalachian Trail both north and south, one of only 24 women to have accomplished this feat. Lauralee makes her home with her family in Virginia in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

To learn more about Lauralee and her books, please visit:
“Readers of Author Lauralee Bliss” on Facebook:
Follow her on Twitter – @lauraleebliss
Book Trailer Link - http://youtu.be/NhSR-N-DEEU